Board, 48 Spon Street
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
|1850||?||SPON STREET BREWERY & LIQUOR VAULTS|
|1871||1929||EAGLE WINE & SPIRIT VAULTS|
|Board means 'to board intoxicating liquor'. In some cases the need for a premises to have 'a board', that is a sign board, suggested this name as some places did in fact display a blank board. However, in this case, the Board identified a person sellling beer from their home; in other words a beerhouse under the 1839 Beerhouse Act, the real origin of the 'public house'.
In 1850 John Soden is brewing at the SPON STREET BREWERY & LIQUOR VAULTS at this address and in 1860 Mrs J. Soden. In 1866 Edward John Hollins is known to have been brewing on the site.
From 1874 this was the EAGLE WINE & SPIRIT VAULTS.
The pub would've been just out of view to the left of the photographer.
LICENSEES:1868 Edward John Hollins 1871 Maria Brown 1874 Tom Powell 1879 - 1881 Mrs Ellen Elizabeth Powell 1886 W. R. Taylor 1890 - 1905 S. Yeaomans 1909 F. H. Makepeace 1911 - 1912 Thomas Broughton 1912 - 1913 William Anstee 1919 - 1929 Walter James Kenney
Street plan of 1851