Board Vaults, 17 Smithford Street
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
This pub opened as a wine/spirit merchants. There is an 1861 transfer of license showing a liqour vaults at the bottom of Theatre Yard was transferred from M.A. Wittem to William Morris. Buchanan lists it as BOARD VAULTS in 1868, a license having been granted to John Dell in 1866, but by 1874 the establishment was known as the SPIRIT VAULTS. In the 1868 Lantern directory the pub was erroneously called VAULTS.
With thanks to Jo Roberts on Facebook for permission to use this wonderful family photograph, taken around 1915. Fred Wootton took over the licence for the pub in December 1914, and his wife's sister (Jo's great-grandmother) can be seen looking through the window.
Street plan of 1851