Toll Gate Hotel, Holyhead Road
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
|TOLL GATE INN|
This pub is near the site where the toll house stood on the Birmingham Road. The toll house and gate was the place where it was necessary to pay a fee to use that stretch of road, the income thus generated being used on the upkeep of the road.
This is a good example of an inter-war pub, 'Moderne' in style, with the emphasis on the horizontal, with rendered walls, rounded corners, a flat roof and broad, metal-framed windows. It opened in 1938.
LICENSEES:1938 Arthur Partridge
1958 - 1960 onwards Derek Maynard (see also Prince William Henry, Foleshill Road)
Website by Rob Orland © 2022