Arcade Vaults, 6 Market Street
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
This name came from the Market Arcade, part of Coventry's market area before the destruction of the Second World War. The present day City Arcade is in quite a different position. On 30th March 1866 Mrs Harriett Forsyth opened a beer and porter house called the Arcade. Until 1866 it was called the ARCADE TAVERN. From that year until closure it was the Arcade Vaults. The pub closed in 1906 when the owner accepted compensation. Interestingly, the owner was James Phillips, who may have been a member of the brewing family. The Arcade Vaults were leased in 1899 for 21 years by Phipps of Northampton, so they were still leasing the premises as two unlicensed shops after the pub was closed. They were paying £75 and £65/10s for the two shops.
Market Street 1940.
LICENSEES:1868 - 1881 Harriet Forsyth (Mrs W. Forsyth) 1886 J. Whitaker 1890 S. Miles 1893 - 1894 George Charles Phillips 1896 - 1905 John H. Cadman
Street plan of 1851