Crown, Cuckoo Lane
|Well over 500 pubs have this name, reflecting the popularity of an inn sign that has been used for some six hundred years. It is a simple visual symbol, easy to illustrate and easy to recognise whilst at the same time it demonstrates loyalty to the reigning monarch.
According to Poole, "The road from Hay Lane towards Hill Top between the two churches was formerly known as 'Cuckoo Lane', in which stood the old Crown Inn, which was pulled down in 1783-84 and the site added to St. Michael's church yard."|
Website by Rob Orland © 2022