Dew Drop, 14 Butcher Row
|Alternative Addresses:||Bull Ring|
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
|1841||1934||SPOTTED DOG / YE OLDE SPOTTED DOG|
|1868||PEEPING TOM VAULTS|
The Spotted Dog, 12-13 Bull Ring. Image from the Trinity Lodge website.
This is quite a popular pub name. It is a pun, Dew Drop Inn meaning 'do drop in'.
The name changed from the PEEPING TOM in c1876. In 1879 St. Michael's bell ringers are reported to have adjourned to the house of Mr Horsfall, the steeple keeper, the Dew Drop, Bull Ring, for refreshments.
In 1881 it was owned by Thomas Henry White and in 1890 it was purchased by Phipps of Northampton. They bought the Dew Drop and the shop and house adjoining for £650 in 1890 from Messrs Edors. It closed c1912.|
LICENSEES:1876 Charles Foxem 1876 Lucy Mullen 1879 Charles Horsfall 1881 H. French 1886 - 1905 Charles Clarke 1909 - 1912 Edward Thomas Horton
OWNERS:1881 Thomas Henry White 1890 Messrs Edors 1890 - 1898 Phipps of Northamprton
Street plan of 1851