Falcon Inn, 58 Well Street
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
|1841||FALCON AND DUCK|
The name is a reminder that falconry was a royal sport for centuries.
This pub is first recorded in Jopson's Coventry Mercury of 24th November 1783, when it is to let. In 1837 it was inherited by Alfred Phillips from his father, Edward Phillips. It was let to W. Tidmarsh. In 1841 this pub is referred to as the FALCON AND DUCK. It closed c1914.
Well Street in the 1930s. The Falcon Inn is just beyond the visible buildings at number 58.
A planning map of 1914 proposing the building of the yet un-named Corporation Street and how it would affect the bottom of the Burges, leading to the demolition in 1929/30 of the original Wine Lodge and adjacent buildings. The Falcon Inn can be seen on the north side of Well Street.
LICENSEES:1822 - 1823 John Bagshaw 1828 - 1829 John Smith 1837 W. Tidmarsh 1841 - 1851 John Mills 1861 Eliza Poultney weaver 1868 T. Poultney 1868 Joseph Onions & John Vince 1874 - 1896 G. North 1903 - 1905 A. J. Wallen 1909 - 1913 H. Watts
OWNERS:to 1837 Edward Phillips from 1837 Alfred Phillips
Street plan of 1851