Fox Inn, Grange Road, Foxford
|Alternative Addresses:||Hurst Road|
This sign has been used since the fifteenth century and is an obvious reference to hunting.
There is a local story that the largest fox ever seen was chased in the fields near Short Ford. The animal ran through the ford, which thereafter bore the name Foxford. Also to commemorate the event a pub was named the Fox. The Fox stood in the triangle of land between Hirsts Road, Grange Road and the footpath.
In the Coventry Standard of 1st June 1855 the house of Mrs Ann Bentley, the Fox in Grange Road / Hurst Road was used for auctions.
In 1931 it advertised 'the best of ales, wines and spirits'.
Foxford School, which opened in 1875, expanded and occupied the triangle of land that the pub stood on c1940.
LICENSEES:1845 - 1855 Mrs Ann Bentley
1861 - 1868 Nathaniel Hewitt
1874 - 1876 John Dillam
1880 Josiah Jackson
1888 David Randle
1892 Jacob Shaw
1900 David Rollason
1904 - 1908 John Dudley
1912 Tom Drakeley
1924 John Dillam
1931 - 1940 F. C. Reeve
Website by Rob Orland © 2022