Golden Ball, 35 Bishop Street
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
The Golden Ball was about half way up on the right hand side of this 1905 Bishop Street photo.This sign was used by many tradesmen in the past, probably because it was a simple visual symbol. It appears to have no heraldic or religious significance. The royal orb is linked with Constantine the Great, who adopted a golden globe as a symbol and added a cross to it later when he was converted to Christianity. In 1787 an auction was held at the sign of the BALL, and in 1801 it was adverised to let. By 1874 it is thought to have become the THREE HORSESHOES, although this was at No 40.
LICENSEES:1822 - 1835 John Dunn 1841 John Ensor 1845 S. Cater junior 1850 William Jennings & well sinker 1861 William Whitehall 1868 John White 1870 Joseph Smith 1870William Barlow 1871 William Burton
Street plan of 1851