New Saracens Head, Longford
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
|1878||?||NEW SARACENS HEAD|
|To the Greeks and Romans a Saracen was a nomad of the Arabian desert. The word came to mean 'Arab', then Moslem, especially with regard to the Crusades. Noble families whose members had taken part in the Crusades tended to include a Saracen's head as part of their arms and so it was transferrd to inn signs.
Between 1880 and 1904 see the BEERHOUSE, Longford. This pub was sandwiched between the SARACENS HEAD and the COACH & HORSES. The name of the Saracens Head was exended to the OLD SARACENS HEAD when the NEW SARACENS HEAD opened next door.|
LICENSEES:1878 Richard Steane
1879 Arthur Mason
Website by Rob Orland © 2022