Sun Tavern, Derby Lane
Derby Lane around 1905.
Early uses of the sun as a tavern sign made use of its simple visual form. It was painted as a circle with a few rays around it and often filled with eyes, a nose and a mouth.
In 1783 a double row of houses at the south west corner of St. Michael's churchyard were taken down and the Sun Inn was one of them. The site was aded to the churchyard and consecrated in 1787. However, there is a record of a house built on the site of the Sun in 1728. Whatever the truth of the matter, we can be sure that the Sun went down at some time in the 18th century.|
Website by Rob Orland © 2022