Black Dog, 26 Whitefriars Street
|Alternative Addresses:||40 Whitefriars Street|
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
|1835||1850||BEERHOUSE, Whitefriars Street and BEERHOUSE, Whitefriars Lane|
|1850||1919||BLACK DOG, Whitefriars Street|
The Black Dog, Whitefriars Street c1960. The Black Dog ceased to be a pub in 1923. To the right of it was another pair of weavers houses with an entry in-between which led to Court No3 (see below). Note the gratings in front of each house which suggest they were all built with coal cellars.
The 'Black Dog of Arden' was Guy Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick, in the early fourteenth century. He was one of those who plotted to kill Pier Gaveston, favourite of Edward II, in 1312. There is also a Black Dog in Southam.
This was also the Beerhouse, Whitefriars Lane between 1835 and 1850. This pub appears in the will of 1869 of J. Edwards. In a footnote it states that J. Edwards kept the Black Dove in Whitefriars Street in 1850. We believe this is an error for the Black Dog.
Although the pub closed on 18.2.1913, it is said that the Black Dog Inn sign could still be seen until the mid 1970s.|
LICENSEES:1861 William Brain 1866 Thomas Bates 1866 William Standbridge 1868 Thomas Townsend 1871 Anna Maria Townsend 1874 - 1894 Walter Chatland 1896 Joseph H. Lawton 1903 H. Stringer 1905 J. Lathbury 1909 F. Jackson 1911 - 1912 John W. Dutson 1912 - 1913 C. Jenkyns 1919 Emily Martin (Inn, No 40)
Street plan of 1851