Clarence Hotel, 9 Smithford Street
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
Until 1868 it was the BOARD/LIQUOR VAULTS. From 1868 it was the CITY VAULTS and must have got its name from its central city location until it was renamed CLARENCE HOTEL in 1903.
The Duke of Clarence was William IV name before he became King. He had a short naval career and took his seat in the House of Lords as Duke of Clarence. Some Clarence signs show the four-wheeled carriage which was named after him.
Smithford Street 1939
LICENSEES:LICENSEES: (the BEERHOUSE) 1868 A Sumner Wholesale spirit & wine warehouse 1871 James Colley Spirit merchant LICENSEES: (the BOARD) 1868 Andrew Sumner Wholesale spirit & wine warehouse 1871 James Colley Spirit merchant LICENSEES: (the LIQUOR VAULTS) 1871 James Colley LICENSEES: (the CITY VAULTS) 1879 Thomas Ball 1881 E. Barfoot 1886 R. Neil 1890 - 1893 G. H. Bamford 1894 C. H. Wells 1896 John Fenn LICENSEES: (CLARENCE HOTEL) 1903 - 1909 H. Wright 1911 - 1912 William Eggington
Street plan of 1851