Board, 9 Smithford Street
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
Board means 'to board intoxicating liquor'. In some cases the need for a premises to have 'a board', that is a sign board, suggested this name as some places did in fact display a blank board. However, in this case, the Board identified a person sellling beer from their home; in other words a beerhouse under the 1839 Beerhouse Act, the real origin of the 'public house'.
Until 1868 it was the BOARD/LIQUOR VAULTS. From 1868 it was the CITY VAULTS and must have got its name from its central city location, until it was renamed CLARENCE in 1903.
The Duke of Clarence was William IV before he became King. He had a short naval career and took his seat in the House of Lords as Duke of Clarence. Some Clarence signs show the four wheeled carriage which was named after him.|
LICENSEES:LICENSEES: (the BEERHOUSE) 1868 A Sumner Wholesale spirit & wine warehouse 1871 James Colley Spirit merchant LICENSEES: (the BOARD) 1868 Andrew Sumner Wholesale spirit & wine warehouse 1871 James Colley Spirit merchant LICENSEES: (LIQUOR VAULTS) 1871 James Colley LICENSEES: (CITY VAULTS) 1879 Thomas Ball 1881 E. Barfoot 1886 R. Neil 1890 - 1893 G. H. Bamford 1894 C. H. Wells 1896 John Fenn LICENSEES: (CLARENCE HOTEL) 1903 - 1909 H. Wright 1911 - 1912 William Eggington
Street plan of 1851