Crown, High Street
|Alternative Addresses:||South Side Of Broadgate, Earl Street|
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
|1471||1670||LE CROWN, CROWN (High Street / Broadgate / Earl Street)|
|1779||1779||BELL AND CROWN|
|1828||1841||GOLDEN HORSE (Earl Street)|
Well over 500 pubs have this name, reflecting the popularity of an inn sign that has been used for some six hundred years. It is a simple visual symbol, easy to illustrate and easy to recognise whilst at the same time it demonstrates loyalty to the reigning monarch.
This pub is mentioned in deeds date 1471, 1473 and 1490, in all three called 'Le Crown',. In all three cases it is only mentioned as demarcating adjoining buildings. By 1492 it is being referred to as the Crown Inn. It seems to have been a fifteenth century mansion built around a central courtyard. It is mentioned four time in the sixteenth century as a licensed premises. It belonged to the Hopkins family for over two hundred years. The house left the Hopkins family in the 18th century and became known as a coaching inn. It is said that the large oak studded doors that led into the yard bore the inn's name as well as coach arrival and departure times. It was later known as the Golden Horse.
In the mid 19th century it became known as Palace Yard and became a builder's yard and a ribbon warehouse and generally fell into decay. This was reversed in 1915 when craft-workers took over the building and gradually began a restoration programme. By 1927 the building was back to its former glory. All looked well until the 14th November 1940 when the Palace Yard was completely flattened by a single high explosive bomb.
This is not to be confused with the Rose and Crown, High Street.|
LICENSEES:1623 T. Conisby
1632 T. Pywall
1655 William Cooke
1670 Elizabeth Cooke
OWNERS:1623 H. Bankes, J. Hill & Eleanor Hill (wife)
1623 - 1632 Sir William Hopkins
1632 Jane Hopkins
1670 Sir R. Hopkins
1670 Sir J. Hales, A. Gibbons & M. Johnson
Website by Rob Orland © 2022