Elephant and Castle, 23 Castle Street, Hillfields
|Alternative Addresses:||High Street, Hillfields|
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
|1829||1841||ELEPHANT AND CASTLE|
|1879||1965||ELEPHANT AND CASTLE|
The name comes from Coventry's coat of arms.
In 1829 the Elephant and Castle appears in a list of new pubs.To 1841 this was a BEERHOUSE.
From 1868 to 1879 it was known as the CASTLE.
The pub closed c1965, when it was an Atkinsons pub. It stood next to the Castle Stores.|
LICENSEES:LICENSEES: (the BEERHOUSE) 1841 John Sidwell LICENSEES: (the CASTLE) 1861 - 1868 Richard Charnock 1874 H. M. Jackson 1879 Joseph Ashley LICENSEES: (the ELEPHANT & CASTLE) 1829 David Rowbotham 1841 John Sidwell 1845 J. Kitson 1850 - 1851 William Coleman 1868 - 1874 Richard Charnock 1881 J. Ashley 1890 - 1913 Thomas W. Bates 1919 - 1936 Henry Herbert Bates 1937 - 1938 W. J. Neville 1939 - 1940 T. A. Bayley
Street plan of 1851