Fountain Inn, 27 Cross Cheaping
This sign can be heraldic, referring to the Crest of the Plumber's Company and also the badge of the Master Mariners, or it can refer to a nearby spring or well. Before piped water was a part of everyday life such natural sources of water were of great importance. In Coventry this may well refer to the city's conduits.
It is thought that this pub was not established until the 1840s or 1850s and it was a timber framed building. In 1867 we have a record that Henry Howe, who lived at the Fountain, attended Katherine Bailey's Charity School.
In 1929 the license was surrendered for the transfer of the license of the Boadicea, Market Place, to the Burnt Post, Kenpas Highway.|
LICENSEES:1868 - 1874 Mrs Maria Howe
1879 Joseph Frost
1881 A. Thorne
1886 W. Reader
1890 - 1896 J. W. Atkinson
1903 - 1905 A. J. Warner
1909 - 1929 Charles James Davis
Website by Rob Orland © 2022