In modern times the green man is associated with Robin Hood and his men who were supposedly dressed in Lincoln Green Cloth. A cloth called Kendal Green, from its manufacture there, or the lighter Lincoln Green, was used for the clothes of foresters, woodmen and the like from the sixteenth century. A more popular interpretation appears to be a symbol showing the renewal of plant growth each spring. The most common form is a face exuding greenery from its nose, mouth, nostrils and ears. Although it is of heathen origins the figure is commonly found in churches, and the rear door of St John's (Bablake church) in Coventry contains several carved green men. There are others about the city.
Our earliest reference is 1793 when the pub was used for auctions. From 1845 to 1924 this was also the BEERHOUSE, Hall Green, although it is still showing as a beer house on the map of Warwickshire 1936-38. Not until the map of Leicestershire 1950-59 does it appear as the Green Man.
From 1910 this pub was leased by Phillips and Marriotts from J. Smith of Burrow Hill Farm, Corley. In 1912 they purchased it for £1,475.
At some time in the later 20th century it was called the WINDMILL. It had closed by 2010.
Research by 'philex31' on the Historic Coventry forum would suggest that the Sephtons and their extended family had connections with many of the pubs in the Longford area: Boat (Blackhorse Road), Boat (Grange Road), Greyhound, Elephant & Castle, Miners Arms, Bird In Hand, Green Man, Old Crown (Windmill Road), New Inn, Saracens Head, Coach & Horses, Engine. Also, away from Longford were the Park Gate Hotel and the New Inn (Stockingford). The majority of the Coventry Sephtons appear to be descended from James Sephton, a canal boatbuilder, who arrived in the Hawkesbury area c1805 from Shardlow in Derbyshire.
Somewhat at odds with this boozy background, other family members operated temperance hotels in the city centre (The Victoria, Warwick Row and The Priory, Bayley Lane).