Old Hall Hotel, Tamworth Road
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
|1861||1947||OLD HALL, COUNDON HALL|
|1947||2008||OLD HALL HOTEL|
The Old Hall on Tamworth Road dates from the development of Coundon as a residential district for the more affluent city residents. During the Victorian period, affluent traders and retired people from the city built large new houses along Tamworth Road in the still attractive rural area of Coundon and Keresley, away from the working class areas of the city.
Coundon Hall was built in 1861 as the home of Mr. & Mrs. Edgar Turrall and their daughters. The building became the Old Hall Hotel in 1947 and then a pub and restaurant in the late 1960s. It closed in 2008 and subsequently in 2010 an arson attack destroyed most of the roof and damaged the interior during building work.
In 2011 developers wanted to turn the Grade II listed building into an upmarket hotel with a spa and banqueting rooms. However, the plans were deemed much too extensive for the green belt and were rejected by the Council.
In February 2014 a modified plan was submitted that would see the Old Hall open with a banqueting suite and hotel facilities. The owners say they are ready to bring the Grade II listed building back to life as soon as the all important permission is granted. In the latest scheme there are 50 bedrooms, a gymnasium and ladies boutique.|
LICENSEES:1947 Gordon McDonald
Website by Rob Orland © 2022