Horse and Jockey, 39 New Street
|Alternative Addresses:||23 Cox Street|
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
|1779||?||HORSE AND JOCKEY|
A livery stables hired out horses. 'Livery' refers to the food and drink which a horse is given in order to live.
It is first recorded as the LIVERY STABLES pub in 1782. In 1824 the pub belonged to the Free Grammar School and later the Livery Stables Inn public house and three other houses were leased for 21 years to Mr. Welton for £20 per annum. This lease expired in 1873.
This was a home brew pub until 1920. The pub closed in 1962.|
Street plan of 1851