Kings Arms Tavern, Park Wall
|Alternative Addresses:||60 Park Terrace, Little Park Street|
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
|KINGS HEAD TAVERN|
|KINGS ARMS TAVERN|
|KINGS HEAD INN|
The arms shown depend on the monarch the artist had in mind - a declaration of loyalty.
This is shown on the Board of Health map of 1851. Park Wall would appear to have been what was later Parkside.
This pub was known locally as the 'Park Gate' as it was built on the side of Little Park Gate. In 1961 it was demolished for the making of the London Road section of the Inner Ring Road.
On the 1888 OS map this pub is labelled the KING'S HEAD INN.
Note the longevity of Walter Judd with at least 48 years at the pub.
Little Park Gate, by David Hale.|
LICENSEES:1822 - 1829 J. Coleman 1835 Joseph Waterhouse 1841 Edward Berry Freckleton junior 1850 - 1851 John Judd 1861 - 1874 Frederick Addison 1879 George Addison 1881 William Judd 1886 - 1934 Walter Judd 1925 - 1940 G. A. Paxton 1959 Ethel Weston
Street plan of 1851