Kings Head Tavern, Little Park Street
|Alternative Addresses:||60 Park Terrace, Park Wall|
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
|KINGS HEAD TAVERN|
|KINGS ARMS TAVERN|
|KINGS HEAD INN|
The head usually shown on signs is that of Henry VIII but at least eight other monarchs have been shown. Sometimes there are different kings on each side of the sign board.
This pub was known locally as the 'Park Gate' as it was built on the side of Little Park Gate. In 1961 it was demolished for the making of the London Road section of the Inner Ring Road.
On the 1851 Board of Health map this pub is labelled The KINGS ARMS TAVERN.
Note the longevity of Walter Judd with at least 48 years at the pub.
Little Park Gate, by David Hale.|
LICENSEES:1822 - 1829 J. Coleman 1835 Joseph Waterhouse 1841 Edward Berry Freckleton junior 1850 - 1851 John Judd 1861 - 1874 Frederick Addison 1879 George Addison 1881 William Judd 1886 - 1934 Walter Judd 1925 - 1940 G. A. Paxton 1959 Ethel Weston
Street plan of 1851