Market Tavern, 19-20 Market Place
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
|1841||1864||MARKET HALL TAVERN/ MARKET HOUSE TAVERN|
|1864||1874||MARKET TAVERN, 19 & 20 Market Place|
|1874||1929||WHITE ROSE, 19 & 20 Market Place|
|?||1841||PACKHORSE, West Orchard|
A postcard featuring the old Market Tower is a rare view of Market Place, which led through from where Broadgate and Cross Cheaping met to the tower, where you could turn left and take Market Street back to Smithford Street. If we are interpreting a map correctly, The Market Tavern / White Rose is on the left and The Lamp Tavern is on the corner of Market Street to the left in the distance where we would find the Arcade Vaults at No.6 and the Market Vaults at No.22.
Wilson records this pub as possibly being the PACKHORSE and then the MARKET HALL TAVERN/MARKET HOUSE TAVERNin 1864, when a new license was granted to Isaac Brown who later in 1869, transferred it to R.P. Barber.
The sign must have then become WHITE ROSE and C&B records this in 1874, Licensee Henry Sanders. In 1929 the license was surrendered for the rebuilding of the CASTLE VAULTS, Market Place. It closed on 30th September, 1929.|
LICENSEES:LICENSEES: (the MARKET HALL TAVERN) 1864 - 1869 Isaac (J.). Brown 1869 R. P. Barker
Street plan of 1851