Packhorse, West Orchard
|Alternative Addresses:||Market Place, St. John's Bridge|
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
|1841||1864||MARKET HALL TAVERN/ MARKET HOUSE TAVERN|
|1864||1874||MARKET TAVERN, 19 & 20 Market Place|
|1874||1929||WHITE ROSE, 19 & 20 Market Place|
|?||1841||PACKHORSE, West Orchard|
A postcard featuring the old Market Tower is a rare view of Market Place, which led through from where Broadgate and Cross Cheaping met to the tower, where you could turn left and take Market Street back to Smithford Street. If we are interpreting a map correctly, The Market Tavern / White Rose is on the left and The Lamp Tavern is on the corner of Market Street to the left in the distance where we would find the Arcade Vaults at No.6 and the Market Vaults at No.22.
This is a reminder of the horses which carried packs of goods in the days before canals and railways catered for bulk transport. Pack horses travelled in trains of up to forty and would have been a familiar sight on the roads. The men in charge of them would have been regular customers at inns seeking refreshment both for themselves and their horses.
In 1756 four soldiers were billeted here. It continued to trade until c1841. See also WHITE ROSE.|
LICENSEES:1822 - 1823 W. Powell 1835 Samuel Lymes 1841 John Aldwinkle
Street plan of 1851