Peeping Tom Hotel, 44 Hertford Street
|Alternative Addresses:||Bull Yard|
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
The Peeping Tom on the corner of The Bullyard and Hertford Street, pre-war.
During Lady Godiva's ride all of Coventry's inhabitants behaved chivalrously and kept indoors behind closed window, except one - the tailor who peeped at Godiva as she rode past. He was reputedly struck blind and gave rise to the expression 'Peeping Tom'.
This pub was previously the RAILWAY HOTEL.
There was a head and shoulders copy of Peeping Tom in the top window. The original stood in the Kings Head, at the opposite end of Hertford Street. This copy now stands at the entrance to the covered part of Hertford Street. After the Second World War the pub became G. E. Jones clothiers and was demolished in the early 1960s when the west side of Hertford Street was rebuilt.|
LICENSEES:LICENSEES: (the RAILWAY HOTEL)
1850 Thomas George Johnson
1851 James Ashes
1861 - 1868 Henry Parker
1871 Thomas Bills
1874 Mrs Hatton
1881 - 1886 Edward Wallen
LICENSEES: (the PEEPING TOM)
1879 - 1886 Edward Wallen
1890 - 1891 G. Armson
1893 - 1896 F. W. Allard
1903 - 1922 Henry Edwin Wilford
1924 A. Buckland
1926 - 1932 S. W. Turner
1933 - 1940 Thomas R. Tudman
Website by Rob Orland © 2022