Ring of Bells, 51 Yardley Street
|Alternative Addresses:||King William Street|
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
|RING O' BELLS|
Photo courtesy of The Coventry Telegraph.
This was often a name given to pubs by the local bell-ringers.
In May 1851 an auction was held at the Ring of Bells, however, on 27th August 1852 a new license was granted to Matthew Mann for the Ring of Bells. So we cannot be sure when the pub opened, but it must have been around these dates.
In 1921/22 it advertised 'Prime home-brewed ales a speciality'. It was at about that date that brewing on the premises ceased. In 1926, 1927 and 1929 it advertised 'prime ales and stouts, choice wines and spirits'.
On 25th. October 1945 the landlady, Mrs. Amy Davis, was found murdered. No-one was ever convicted of her murder. In 1961 Jimmy Taylor wrote, 'In Yardley Street before the war there were three public houses. Now the Ring O' Bells is the only one remaining, the others having been bombed and on the site the Corporation have built a 10 storey block of flats'.
The pub was closed and demolished on 10th August 1970.|
LICENSEES:1852 Matthew Mann
1861 Joseph Cashmere
1868 T. Swigger
1868 - 1896 James Bamford
1903 - 1905 Mrs. Susannah Bamford
1909 - 1919 Herbert Duggins
1921 - 1927 Mrs. Florence Duggins
1929 Walter Hewitt
1931 - 1940 C. J. Davis
to 1945 Amy Davis
from 1961 Peter Connelly (see above)
to 1898 James Bamford
1898 - 1902 Mrs. Susannah Bamford
1902 - 1914 Herbert Duggins
1914 - 1921 Mrs. Florence Duggins
Website by Rob Orland © 2022