Royal Sailor, 25 Upper Well Street
|Alternative Addresses:||28 Or 29 Upper Well Street|
|William IV (1765 - 1837) was the third son of George III. He joined the Royal Navy as a midshipman in 1779 and was soon a captain. He frequently disobeyed the orders of his superiors and violated the rules of discipline, so he was not allowed to command a ship. He was nevertheless promoted by 1801 to the rank of Admiral of the Fleet.
This pub opened in 1829. In 1861 and 1881 it was referred to as the JOLLY SAILOR. It closed on 14th July 1910.|
LICENSEES:1829 - 1835 Edward Berry Freckleton 1841 - 1868 William (Joseph) Ludford 1871 Elizabeth Ludford 1874 - 1896 Thomas B. Atkins 1903 H. Mason 1905 - 1909 Mrs. A. Mason
Street plan of 1851