Royal Sailor, Far Gosford Street
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
|1863||1872||ROYAL SAILOR, ROYAL BRITISH SAILOR|
|William IV (1765-1837) was the third son of George III. He joined the Royal Navy as a midshipman in 1779 and was soon a captain. He frequently disobeyed the orders of his superiors and violated the rules of discipline, so he was not allowed to command a ship. He was nevertheless promoted by 1801 to the rank of Admiral of the Fleet.
The Royal Sailor is first mentioned in Kelly's Directory of 1863 and last mentioned in the Coventry herald and Observer of 1872.
This pub is thought to have become the CRICKETERS ARMS.|
LICENSEES:1863 William Kimberley
1866 William King
1866 Ellen Short
1868 J. H. Gardner
1872 Thomas Smith
1872 Arthur Friswell
Website by Rob Orland © 2022