Star and Garter Inn, 2-3 Bishop Street
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
|1822||1922||STAR AND GARTER|
|1850||1881||SPIRIT VAULTS, 3 Bishop Street|
Bishop Street looking south in 1905. The Star and Garter is the last property on the right, opposite Silver Street.
A reference to the Most Noble order of the Garter, the highest order of knighthood in britain. Instituted by Edward III about 1348, with the motto 'Honi soit qui mal y pense', 'evil be to him who evil thinks'. The Order is limited to the sovereign, other members of the royal family, and twenty-five knights. The star forms part of the insignia.
In 1850, 1874 and 1881 this is the SPIRIT VAULTS, 3 Bishop Street.|
LICENSEES:1868 - 1886 Benjamin Jackson
1890 - 1891 W. Howkins
1893 - 1896 W. Ward
1903 O. L. Lovegrove
1905 E. G. Peach
1909 - 1913 Arthur Farndon
1919 Charles Henry Parker
1921 - 1922 T. Emery
Website by Rob Orland © 2022