Vampire, 48 Jordan Well
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
|1800||1802||RING OF BELLS|
|1868||1870||VAMPIRE, VAMPIRE MUSEUM INN|
|What an odd name. This was before the publication of Bram Stoker's novel, so what did vampire mean to people in 1868?
This pub was formerly the COCK. In 1855 it was the VAMPIRE MUSEUM INN, Later becoming just the VAMPIRE.
By 1871 the premises was occupied by a currier and leather seller. In the 1891 census the premises are given as No.48 and occupied by Thomas Barton, Wine Porter. His daughter, Eliza L. Barton aged 16 is shown as a British Wine Shop Keeper. Could this be the fate of the COCK?
Following excerpt from the "Historic Coventry Forum", poster Annewiggy:
In December 1863 David Smith respectfully informed his friends that he has moved from Little Park Street to the Vampire Tavern where he will continue to be a preserver of animals, reptiles and insects.|
LICENSEES:1868 C. Wakefield 1868 David Smith (see also at the Warwick Arms and Spirit Vaults, Little Park Street in 1863) 1869 Amos Statham 1870 James Robert Lucas
Street plan of 1851