Vine Cottage, 8 Cross Street
|Alternative Addresses:||St. Peters Street|
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
|This was formerly a far more common name than it is today and was already in use in the fourteenth century. Vines do grow quite readily in England and can be trained to cover buildings.
The JUNCTION ARMS, Junction Street pub name changed when Junction Street became Vine Street in 1879, it closed shortly afterwards and became a private dwelling. Meanwhile, the Landlord Henry Francis moved, as did the name of the pub, to a new pub at No.8 Cross Street in 1881
It had an on-beerhouse license from 1896 to 1913
From 1924 to 1932 it is listed as just the 'VINE INN'. The pub continued to trade as the VINE COTTAGE until c1940.
This list obviously needs sorting through, watch this space|
LICENSEES:1881 - 1886 Henry Francis
1890 - 1909 Mrs Sarah Francis
1911 - 1913 Frank Poole
1919 - 1922 Arthur Henry Thompson
1924 - 1934 J. L. Bayliss
1935 - 1938 H. Hollick
1939 - 1940 F. M. Pritchard
Website by Rob Orland © 2022