Waterloo Bar, 3 Pepper Lane
|Alternative Addresses:||Broadgate, High Street|
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
|WATERLOO NEWS AND COFFEE ROOM|
The Toby's Head pub is the one in the foreground on the right. We can just make out the gable of the Golden Cross beyond. The Old County Court still survives as the last building on the left before the cathedral and is now a bar-cum-eatery called The Establishment.
The place where this famous battle was fought is a small town in Brabant, twelve miles south of Brussels in Belgium. The British and Prussian forces under the Duke of Wellington and Blucher together with Dutch and Belgian troops defeated Napoleon's French army. Napoleon abdicated four days after.
This pub started as the Waterloo News and Coffee Room on the High Street. It is believed that the Waterloo stood opposite the TOBYS HEAD, which was No 1 Pepper Lane. (the numbering of Pepper Lane was not the conventional odds on one side, evens on the other).|
LICENSEES:1886 Mrs. Jephcott 1893 - 1896 Arthur Russell 1903 Robert Herbert 1905 F. Morgan 1909 - 1912 G. T. Ayres
Street plan of 1851