Welch Harp, 22 Market Street
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
|1886||1925||MARKET VAULTS, MARKET (HALL) TAVERN, HOLE IN THE WALL|
The Welch harp was an early form of harp with three rows of strings, used on pub signs because of its distinct shape and perhaps the licensee's connection with Wales. Welch is an early spelling of Welsh before the latter spelling became standardised.
In 1832 this was just a liquor shop but In 1835 it was referred to as just the HARP. Later the sign had become the WELCH HARP. On 25th December 1925 this pub closed after payment of compensation. At the time of closure it was owned by Phipps of Northampton.|
LICENSEES:LICENSEES: (the HARP) 1835 Robert Shaw LICENSEES: (the WELCH HARP) 1850 - 1851 George Lockington 1861 - 1868 William Brown 1871 - 1881 Lidia Brown LICENSEES: (the MARKET VAULTS) 1886 - 1896 J. Phillips 1903 - 1927 Frederick W. Allard
Street plan of 1851