White Hart, High Street
|The earliest examples of this common sign coincide with the beginning of the reign of Richard II in 1377 and it was that monarch's heraldic symbol. The hart is the male deer and by latter centuries it became almost a generic term for a tavern.
In 1756 four soldiers were billeted here. In 1763 there is a lease of a property bounded by the White Hart. In 1774 the yearly rent charged for the pub was £4 16s 0d, and in 1778 there is mention of ground adjoining it.|
Website by Rob Orland © 2022