Windmill, Warwick Road, Styvechale
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
This name probably marks the site of a former windmill.
The Windmill was known locally as the WHITE HOUSE because it was painted white. It was a favourite meeting place for watchmakers and a venue for dancing, coursing and cock fighting.
In September 1818 William Law was attacked by Jackson and Carpenter, who ran off past the Windmill. They were caught and William Law was carried to the Windmill where he lay in agonizing pain all night until he died at 9am. the following morning. The inquest was held at the pub.|
LICENSEES:1845 Baziel Southam
Website by Rob Orland © 2022