Angel Hotel, Cook Street
|Alternative Addresses:||Cook Street Square|
|The angel sign has been in use since the Middle Ages, reflecting the connection in those times between religious establishments and travellers' inns and hostels. This was an ancient inn, as it is recorded in 1480 as being on the Prior's ground. The Angel in Cook Street only assumed the title of Hotel in its latter years, from 1919.
Cook Street in the early 1900s, before the c1930 restoration of the ancient city gate.
LICENSEES:1822 - 1845 George Smith 1850 - 1866 Elizabeth Smith (deceased) 1866 - 1871 John Sawrey, Innkeeper and silk weaver 1874 John Smith 1879 - 1881 Frederick Rainbow 1886 W. Fitzhugh 1890 - 1924 Edward Lewin
Street plan of 1851