Angel Hotel, Smithford Street
|The Angel sign was used since the middle ages, reflecting the connection between religious establishments and travellers' inns and hostels at the time.
This particular inn is mentioned as one of the most famous inns of Coventry but its exact location is unknown. The Leet Book states that the Duke of Buckingham stayed here in 1460 where he was visited by the Mayor and his council. Then there is a mention in a document in Lincoln Records Office dated 1687. In 1756 six soldiers were billeted there.
In 1759 three men drinking at the Angel agreed to rob a rookery at Swanswell and one of them dressed as a Merry Andrew climbed one of the trees. He fell from the top and died. However, after this there is no mention of the Angel.
Smithford Street 1939.