City Arms, 1 Cross Cheaping
|Alternative Addresses:||Market Place|
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
Wingrave photo from the 1860s showing City Arms' licensee David Dalgliesh above the archway, which gave entrance to Market Place.
The name of this pub is a reference to Coventry's Coat of Arms. It stood next to the Castle Hotel in Cross Cheaping, although in the census of 1841 and 1861 the address was Market Place. It was called the PEACOCK INN until the City Arms was adopted in the late 19th century. From 1790 until c1817 the City Arms was kept by the Waters family, Edward and later David. These are the Waters later well-known as wine importers with their premises on High Street, including WATERS WINE BAR. Around 1817 Thomas Parrott succeeded the Waters at the City Arms and the pub was demolished in 1878 in order to widen the entrance to the Market.
No.1 Cross Cheaping on the corner of the newly widened Market Place, where the City Arms once stood.
LICENSEES:LICENSEES: (the PEACOCK) 1790 - 1801 Edward Waters LICENSEES: (the CITY ARMS) 1790 - c1817 Edward and later David Waters c1817 - 1829 Thomas Parrott 1841 - 1850 Samuel Duke Armstrong 1861 - 1874 David Dalgliesh
Street plan of 1851