Cottage and Rainbow, 26 Jordan Well
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
|1841||1868||COTTAGE AND RAINBOW|
|This is a strange combination. Could the name be a joining of two previous pubs' names? The pub appears on the 1851 Public Health Map.
In 1840 the RAINBOW in Jordan Well was used for auctions. In 1841 the licensee of the RAINBOW was J. Gray. The 1850 Directory states the COTTAGE AND RAINBOW licensee as J. Gray.
The Cottage and Rainbow was on the near corner with Freeth Street, on the right, used as a bicycle shop by the time this photo was taken in the 1920s.
LICENSEES:LICENSEES: (the BEERHOUSE) 1835 James Gray LICENSEES: (the RAINBOW) 1841 James Gray LICENSEES: (the COTTAGE & RAINBOW) 1841 - 1851 J. Gray 1861 Catherine Jephcott 1868 E. Harris 1868 Harry Eaves
Street plan of 1851