Hill Cross Tavern, 1 Abbots Lane
|Alternative Addresses:||Hill Cross, Nauls Mill Lane|
This name describes the pub's location, the cross road on the hill.
An inquest was held at the pub in 1849. In 1896 it was leased by Phillips and Marriott from J. Matthews of 4 Byron Terrace, Stoney Stanton Road, Coventry. In 1902 and 1910 they renewed their lease before purchasing the pub in 1911 for £450.
It closed in 1964.|
LICENSEES:1850 - 1894 Edward Barton 1896 Elizabeth Prescott 1897 Walter Rice 1902 - 1913 George Prescott 1913 - 1929 Walter J. Chinn 1931 - 1940 F. Hewitt 1955 - 1956 Sarah B. Bailey 1958 - 1961 Jesse Webb (see above and see Gas Street Tavern, Gas Street and Brewer and Baker, East Street) 1961 - 1962 W. J. Jones
Street plan of 1851