Hope and Anchor, 8 Tower Street
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
|1850||c1905||HOPE AND ANCHOR|
|In this name hope may have been used in the sense of a small bay. In Christian symbolism the anchor is the sign of hope. The spare anchor on a ship was often called the 'hope anchor'.
Between 1850 and 1879 this was also the BEERHOUSE, Tower Street. The Hope and Anchor is first recorded in 1850 when a license is granted to Joseph Bradford, but it does not appear in directories until 1868.
In the 1841 census there are no matching records. In 1851 Joseph Bradford is 33 and a publican and coal dealer at the Hope and Anchor, Tower Street. In 1861 he is 43 and a publican at the Hope and Anchor, 8 Tower Street. By 1871 he is 53 and a drayman at the Hope and Anchor, married to Elizabeth Bradford, 52, a tavern keeper.
The Hope and Anchor had a full public house license from 1861 to 1905. It closed c1905 as by 1906 it was a private dwelling.|
LICENSEES:1861 - 1881 John (Joseph) Bradford, drayman m Elizabeth, tavern keeper 1886 Elizabeth Bradford 1890 - 1905 W. Lines
Street plan of 1851