Hospital Inn, 2 Stoney Stanton Road
|Alternative Addresses:||1 Byron Place|
|This was named from its proximity to the Coventry and Warwickshire Hospital.
The land that this pub was built on was sold to Mark William Makepeace in 1859. He died in 1895 and in 1896 the pub was purchased by Phillips and Marriott for £3,156 6s, including a house and maltings. The maltings were sold to the Coventry and Warwickshire Hospital. In 1899 Phillips and Marriott valued the pub at £3,500. The William Makepeace and Mark William Makepeace in the list of licensees are not the same person, as in 1861 William Makepeace is 55 years old and in 1871 Mark Makepeace is 37 years old. So, which of the two was Mark William Makepeace who originally bought the land?
In 1918 the pub was closed and sold to the Coventry and Warwickshire Hospital in consideration of the removal of the license of the Priory Tavern, New Buildings, to a new house in a new district. This house had yet to be opened. It was in fact the Barras House.|
LICENSEES:1861 William Makepeace brewer 1868 - 1894 Mark Makepeace maltster & victualler 1896 - 1903 Harriett Bray 1905 - 1910 Henry William Hawkes 1911 Linda Hawkes 1911 - 1913 A. Hawkes
OWNERS:1859 - 1895 Mark William Makepeace 1895 - 1918 Phillips and Marriott 1918 Coventry and Warwickshire Hospital
Street plan of 1893