Old Ball, Bishop Street
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
The Golden Ball was about half way up on the right hand side of this 1905 Bishop Street photo.This pub is only known from one directory, Whites of 1874. It is thought to have been previously the GOLDEN BALL. This sign was used by many tradesmen in the past, probably because it was a simple visual symbol. It appears to have no heraldic or religious significance. The royal orb is linked with Constantine the Great, who adopted a golden globe as a symbol and added a cross to it later when he was converted to Christianity. In 1787 an auction was hekd at the sign of the BALL, and in 1801 it was adverised to let. By 1874 it has become the THREE HORSESHOES, although this was at No 40.
Street plan of 1851