Old Pilot, 48-49 Much Park Street
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
|YE OLDE PILOT|
The Pilot on the left, while the Godiva Procession of 1907 continues past.In her newspaper articles about the origin of Coventry pub signs Mary Dormer Harris records that Mr. T. Cash considers this sign relates to the Coventry Mystery plays. He claims that the name should be Pilate - recalling the most famous character in the Smith's play of the trial and crucifiction. Interesting conjecture... the earliest record is in the CS in February 1849 when it was to let. In 1919 and 1932 it is referred to as Ye Olde Pilot .In 1926, 1927 and 1929 it advertised Mitchells & Butlers celebrated ales, with hot and cold lunches.it traded until c1938, but was not demolished until 1962 to make way for the London Road section of the ring-road. See also the PILOT, Much Park Street.
LICENSEES:1854 Webb 1859 Thomas Hobson 1861 Thomas P. Johnson 1868 - 1874 William Raby 1879 Mrs Raby 1881 E. Raby 1886 S. Miles 1890 - 1891 H. Jones 1893 - 1905 Matthew Moss 1909 - 1912 Mrs Mary E. Moss 1912 - 1922 Herbert James Pemberton 1924 - 1929 G. W. Bennett 1931 - 1932 G. W. Bennett & F. Essex 1933 - 1934 O. A. Joyce 1934 - 1940 G. F. Ireland
Street plan of 1851