Old Star Inn, 71 Cox Street
|Alternative Addresses:||26 Cox Street, 72 Cox Sreet, Mill Lane|
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
|1822||1823||DUKE OF WELLINGTON|
|The star was originally a religious symbol, referring to the star of Bethlehem or to the Virgin Mary, one of whose titles is 'Star of the Sea' (Stella Maris). Since 1634 a six-pointed star also appeared in the arms of the Worshipful Company of Innholders, previously the guild of Innkeepers. The star as a pub name dates from the fifteenth century.
In 1822-3 this was the DUKE OF WELLINGTON.
In 1850 it is called just the 'STAR'.
In 1920 this pub closed after receipt of compensation payment and in 1921 it was a private residence.|
LICENSEES:1861 Thomas Iliffe or Thomas Greatrex 1868 Thomas Shortley 1874 - 1893 Henry Russell 1894 Mrs. E. Russell 1896 Mrs. E. Dutson 1901 John Henry Milligan 1903 - 1909 J. H. Millerchip 1911 - 1912 Joseph Salmon 1912 - 1913 Joseph George Evans (Milligan's son-in-law) 1913 - 1914 (May) Tommy Cash (previously held license for the Tramway Inn) 1914 - 1919 William Brimfield
Street plan of 1851