Star, 71 Cox Street
|Alternative Addresses:||Mill Lane|
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
|1822||1823||DUKE OF WELLINGTON|
|The star was originally a religious symbol, referring to the star of Bethlehem or to the Virgin Mary, one of whose titles is 'Star of the Sea' (Stella Maris). Since 1634 a six-pointed star also appeared in the arms of the Worshipful Company of Innholders, previously the guild of Innkeepers. The star as a pub name dates from the fifteenth century.
In 1822-3 this was the DUKE OF WELLINGTON.
In 1850 it is called just the 'Star'.
In 1920 this pub closed after receipt of compensation payment and in 1921 it was a private residence.|
LICENSEES:1835 Henry Bellamy 1840 Giles Smith 1841 - 1851 James Foster
Street plan of 1851