Weavers Arms, 138 Bell Green Road
|Alternative Addresses:||237 Bell Green Road, Courthouse Green, Hall Green Road|
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
The Worshipful Company of Weavers (1155) has the longest history of any city guild. Weaving played a vital part in Coventry's economy from the Middle Ages.
In 1850 a lodger died at the Weavers Arms after a short illness and the inquest was held at the pub.
In 1863, 1874 and 1876 it was the BEERHOUSE , Courthouse Green, and also between 1880 and 1924.
The pub gets a mention in Phipps Estate Ledger. In 1975 wrestling matches were held here and Jackie Turpin died as result of injuries sustained here. In 1982 it was 'an old pub which surprisingly had not been vandalised by having its rooms knocked into a single bar'.
In 2006 it added an Indian Restaurant.
LICENSEES:1841 - 1851 John Birch, ribbon weaver, Courthouse Green
1861 - 1868 Mrs Mary Birch, Courthouse Green / Aldermans Green
1874 - 1888 William Harrison, Courthouse Green
1904 - 1924 Charles Bunn, Courthouse Green
1929 - 1940 C. Bunn
Website by Rob Orland © 2022