Harrow, 26 Spon Street
This is a common sign referring to the contrivance used to break up clods of earth, stir the earth, root up weeds and cover seeds etc., on farmland.
This pub was established before 1838 and was situated next to Harrow Yard. The premises were quite substantial having two parlours, kitchens, bar and pantry, clubroom and four chambers together with two adjacent dwelling houses. There was a back road or alley leading to Poddy Croft.
An 1838 sale notice indicated that there was thirteen years left to run on the lease, and the pub does not appear on the Board Of Health map of 1851. In fact it was advertised for sale on 12th July 1850.|
LICENSEES:1850 Charles Laing
Website by Rob Orland © 2022