Railway Hotel, Lockhurst Lane
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
|1843||OLD BROOK TAVERN|
The coming of the railways in the nineteenth century made a huge impact on life in Britain and this was reflected in pub names.
In 1843 this is recorded as the OLD BROOK TAVERN. It is a misinterpretation of HOLBROOKS TAVERN. In 1847 the correct title is used when the premises is to let. In 1850 it became the RAILWAY HOTEL when the Coventry to Nuneaton railway line opened.
Originally Lockhurst Lane crossed the railway by means of a level-crossing. The present bridge was opened in 1931. In 1961 the Railway Hotel was owned by Marstons and was said to be not more than 75 years old, which would give an opening date of c1886. Given the dates of the licensees, this would mean that there was an earlier Railway Hotel on the site. The bar was reputed to be the largest in the Midlands, being 54 feet long by 20 feet wide. It sold 'all kinds of refreshments and there were first class concerts for which artists were booked from long distances'. Also 'the smoke room, the billiards room, the fine first floor club room with its separate entrance and the recreation paddock at the back gives this house a tone of elegance'.
It is now the Indian and Commonwealth Club.|
LICENSEES:1861 - 1863 Henry Elton
1863 William Marston
1863 Thomas Wright
1866 Charles Judd
1868 Thomas Knibb
1874 Samuel Lombard
1874 - 1892 Henry Chillingsworth
1903 - 1913 William Lole
1919 - 1922 Ellen Wilday
1924 - 1932 F. Parker
1933 - 1936 W. E. Roberts
1937 - 1940 W. F. Ryder
1957 James Satterthwaite
1959 John Heath (see above)
1960 - 1962 W. J. F. Bloxham
OWNERS:1961 Marstons, Thompson and Evershed
Website by Rob Orland © 2022