Swanswell Hotel, 20 Hales Street
|These premises have been known by different names during their history:||FROM||TO||NAME|
|1858||?||HALES STREET STORES|
|1911||1998||SWANSWELL HOTEL, SWANSWELL STORES, DOWSE'S PUB|
In the 1950s.This name refers to a local pool, the Swanswell, which was the source of much of the water used in Coventry. From 1896 to 1911 see the BOARD VAULTS, Hales Street. In 1926 this pub was sold by Charringtons. In 1982 it was described as a 'Basic working man's drinking pub and one of the few of its kind to survive in the City Centre'. In 2010 it was demolished to make way for the Phoenix (Millennium) Project and the site is under the Garden of International Friendship. Pity it couldn't have been the Pub of International Friendship! Left:1980s.
LICENSEES:LICENSEES: (the BOARD VAULTS) 1896 - 1909 J. Dowse LICENSEES: (the SWANSWELL HOTEL) 1911 - 1919 John Dowse 1921 - 1927 Arthur J. Dowse 1927 Philip Weston 1929 A. E. Williams 1930 - 1940 Lester Mark Tarrant 1947 Thomas Boag Downing 1958 John Henry Edward Maun 1961 William George Ling 1963 onwards Les Court (see clipping above)
OWNERS:to 1926 Charringtons